Marriage Counseling at Bill Jacobs LPCC consists first of communication skills instruction. Once couples are talking and understanding each other, the problems seem to disappear most of the time.
Relationship Enhancement Therapy
We use Relationship Enhancement Therapy developed by Bernard Gurney. We like it for the following reasons:
- It's easy to learn
- It works (if you work it)
- It works quickly for most.
- It usually leads to the resolution of many problems.
- It works best when people want it to work (motivated)
- It works so well, and so quickly even the disheartened frequently become encouraged and motivated.
- It taps into the fundamental human need to be understood.
- Since it is a learned skill, it goes out the door with the client. They don't need a therapist to help them fix their problems, they can do it themselves.
Sometimes people learn in marital counseling that they are unable to do the thing required to complete the therapy. In those cases we often advise they do individual therapy to help them with the personal issues that impede their ability to connect to their mate.
People who are willing to enter into individual counseling usually report that it helped them be a better marital partner.